Welcome to the Canvas Transition project website.
This site is the location for all things related to the SF State transition from iLearn to Canvas and will provide resources to support you in making the change.
Get Started with Canvas
Join the early preview by taking the survey to receive a sandbox course in Canvas. You will also be provided with a Canvas training course along with your sandbox available within the Canvas environment.
Opt-in To Canvas for Fall 2022
Faculty can begin teaching their courses in Canvas this Fall. Please review this guide to learn more about how you can opt-in your courses for Fall 2022.
SF State, along with six other CSU campuses are making this migration as part of the Governor's Office higher education budget proposal of 2020, and the final budget revision, all CSU’s, UC’s, and CCC’s are required to use one common learning management system. The Chancellor's office has informed the campuses that funding has been provided and all CSU campuses are committed to move to Canvas by 2023-24. The Canvas Learning Management System (LMS) was selected for state campuses as a majority of CSU campuses had already moved and the 116 California Community College (CCC) campuses have been using it as a common LMS for the last five years.
- Spring 2022: System setup, stakeholder engagement, begin faculty migration process to Canvas
- Fall 2022: iLearn is default for all courses
- Spring 2023: Canvas by default for all courses, iLearn still available
- Summer 2023: Prepare all remaining faculty and courses to be in Canvas
- Fall 2023: Full cut-over to Canvas; iLearn will no longer be available for instruction
- Beyond: Past iLearn available for procedural needs (INC's), Faculty access to course backups